Girls 14 National Avengers Roster
Girls 14 National Avengers Coaches
Girls 14 National Avengers News
Avengers Win Silver at VA Elite 14s Invitational (2014-03-16)
The BRYC 14s National Avengers played in the VA Elite 14's Invitational Open on 16 March at The Maderia School. The Avengers went 2-4 in pool play to qualify form the Silver Bracket. In the semifinals, the Avengers played MAVBC 14 Central winning in straight sets, 25 - 22 and 25 - 18. In the finals, the Avengers defeated MAVBC 14 North in straight sets 25 - 8 and 25 - 12 to win the Silver Bracket.
January Practice and SAPT Schedule (2013-12-31)
January 4, Saturday, scrimmage with the Arlington Elite 14's
- Uniforms - we will wear the new pink uniforms. If you have a white volleyball jersey that fits (any number), please bring it. Our Liberos will need to wear jerseys that are not pink.
- Time - arrival by 2:10 PM, warm-up at 2:30 PM and scrimmage from 3:00 to 5:00 PM
- Location - Marymount University, 2807 Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207
- Main Gym (building with the red roof).
- Security guard will provide directions to the gym and where to park
- SAPT, Irving MS Cafeteria, 5:45-6:30 PM
- Practice, Laurel Ridge ES, 7:30-9:00 PM, arrive by 7:15 PM
January 10, Friday, practice at Poe MS, 8:00-10:00 PM, arrive by 7:45 PM
January 12, Sunday -- Position Training (Tentative), Lake Braddock SS, between 3:00 and 5:00 or 5:00 and 7:00 PM.
January 14, Tuesday
- SAPT, Irving MS Cafeteria, 5:45-6:30 PM
- Scrimmage vs 15-1, Kings Glen ES, 8:00-10:00 PM
- Time - 7:30-9:00 PM
- Location - Holmes MS, 6525 Montrose St., Alexandria, VA 22312
- The entrance to the gym is on the right side of the school (when facing the school from the street) towards the back.
January 18, Saturday, travel to Richmond for the Monument City Classic Tournament
- We are in the "afternoon wave" of the tournament on Saturday, January 18.
- Players and coaches lodging - Holiday Inn Richmond I-64 West End, 2000 Staples Mills Road, Richmond, VA 23230
- 1:00 PM - Players, Coaches, and Parents Meeting in the lobby of the players' hotel.
- 2:00 PM - Players and coaches arrive at Monument City Classic Tournament at the Richmond Convention Center
- Location - 403 N Third St., Richmond, VA
January 20, Monday
- Playing in the Monument City Classic
- Travel home after completing competition and work responsibilities
January 23, Thursday - SAPT
January 24, Friday - Practice
January 26, Sunday - MD Jrs 14's OPEN Tournament (see events list for details)
BRYC Fellowship Saturday, 14 December (2013-12-04)
We will be scrimmaging other BRYC teams on Saturday, 14 December. In addition to preparing for the Monument Classic on MLK weekend, this fellowship provides an opportunity for our players to get rated for scorekeeping and refereeing. Our players need to complete their CHRVA scorekeeping and refereeing web-based clinics before December 14.
Instruction for Junior Referee Certification -- http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0047/1434/2013-2014_Junior_Referee_Level_1_Certification_Requirements.v2.pdf
- Instructions for Junior Scorekeeper Certification -- http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0047/1400/2013-2014_Junior_Scorer_Certification_Requirements.docx
Location: Kings Glenn Elementary School, 5401 Danbury Forest Drive Springfield, VA 22151
Time: 8:00 am - 1:30 am (tentative)
Team #1 - 14 National Advengers
Team #2 - 15-1 Regional
Team #3 - 15-2 Regional
|Start Time||Teams||Work Team|
|9:30 AM||14N vs. 15-1R||15-2R|
|10:30 AM||15-1R vs. 15-2R||14N|
|11:30 AM||14N vs. 15-2R||15-1R|
We will always play the 3 sets for scorekeeping purposes
We have the gym until 5:00 so we may play each team a second time.
The entrance to the gymnasium is on the left side of the school (when facing the school from the street) towards the rear of the parking lot.
December SAPT Training (2013-11-29)
Location: Irving Middle School Cafeteria, 8100 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, VA
Dates and Times:
- December 3 (Tuesday) - 5:45-6:30 PM
- December 5 (Thursday) - no SAPT, cafeteria not available
- December 10 (Tuesday) - 5:45-6:30 PM at Kings Glenn
- December 12 (Thursday) - 7:30-8:15 PM at Kings Glenn
- December 17 (Tuesday) - 5:45-6:30 PM
- December 19 (Thursday) - 7:30-8:15 PM
December Practice Schedule (2013-11-29)
Dates, times, and location
- December 3 (Tuesday) - 7:30-9:00 PM, Laurel Ridge ES
- December 6 (Friday) - 8:00-10:00 PM, Poe MS
- December 10 (Tuesday) - 7:30-9:00 PM, Laurel Ridge ES
- December 13 (Friday) - 7:15-9:00 PM, Laurel Ridge ES
- December 17 (Tuesday) - 7:30-9:00 PM Laurel Ridge ES
- December 20 (Friday) - 8:00-10:00 PM, Poe MS
- December 24 Tuesday) - no practice
- December 27 (Friday) - no practice
- December 30 (Tuesday) - no practice
- January 3, 2014 (Friday) - no practice
- January 7 (Tuesday) - 7:30-9:00 PM, Laurel Ridge ES
- January 10 (Friday) - 8:00-10:00 PM, Poe MS
Practice Schedule (2013-11-17)
The following tentative schedule is the expected schedule December 2013 through March 2014. A new Spring schedule will be provided in early March 2014 and will be very similar, if not identical, to this schedule. Players are expected to participate in all team activities.
|SAPT Strength & Conditioning Training||Tuesdays, 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm||Irving MS cafeteria|
|Team Practice||Tuesdays, 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm||Laurel Ridge ES|
|SAPT Strength & Conditioning Training||Thursdays, 7:15 pm - 8:00 pm||Irving MS cafeteria|
|Team Practice||Fridays, 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm||Poe MS|
EXPECTATIONS AND BACKGROUND (2013-10-02)
Together, we will develop a highly skilled, competitive team that loves to play volleyball, supports our teammates, and strives to improve our volleyball leadership, communication, and mental preparedness.
J We are preparing our players to compete for roster spots on their high school varsity and junior varsity teams.
Coaches – Greg, McIntyre, Phil Oshida, and Caitlin Oshida.
Our coaches are CAP and IMPACT certified and provide substantial individual instruction to players in addition to team teaching. Individual and team improvement will be stressed, with the expectation that improvement will result in favorable tournament results. (see http://club.brycvolleyballclub.org/coaches)
2014 Tournaments -
We are planning to compete in at least four multi-day volleyball tournaments, the CHRVA 14’s Regional Tournament, and several regional one-day tournaments. The multi-day tournaments are the Monument City Classic (January 18-20 in Richmond, Virginia), the Capitol Hill Classic (February 15-17 in Washington, DC), the Northeast Qualifier (April 18-20, which is Easter weekend including Sunday, in National Harbor, Maryland), and Beachfest II (May in Ocean City, Maryland). We hope to play in a Mid-Atlantic Power League (MAPL) weekend tournament in Raleigh, NC (March 8-9) or York, PA (March 22-23). Barring injury, we expect all of our players to be committed to play in all matches of the multi-day tournaments.
Practices are likely to be 90 minutes to 2 hours in duration on Fridays and Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Locations will be local (e.g., Kings Glen ES, Poe MS, Laurel Ridge ES). Some additional practices and scrimmages will be on Saturdays or Sundays, primarily early in the season as we prepare for the Monument City Classic and Capitol Hill Classic Tournaments.
The Tournament and Practice information is subject to change, but is accurate at this time (October 2, 2013).
Volleyball Performance/Fitness Training -
All our players will be provided with volleyball fitness/performance training by staff from SAPT (Strength And Performance Training). We have observed tremendous improvement in volleyball performance in our players and other players who have trained with SAPT. Fitness/Performance training sessions will take place 1-2 days per week for approximately one hour per session throughout the season.
Player Fee (tentative): $1900 for the season
Fee covers the following: jerseys, warm-up clothes, tournament fees, lodging at overnight tournaments, SAPT fitness training, and practice facilities.
BACKGROUND -- Last Year
BRYC 14's 2013 National Team:
What high school volleyball teams are the 2013 players on during Fall 2013?
• Sydney Balderson, Junior Varsity, Fairfax High School
• Danielle Beirman, Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
• Narjes Bencheikh, Freshman, South County High School
• Grace Bergan, Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
• Jessica Berlin, Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
• Anna Bordell, Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
• Lauren Budreau, Junior Varsity, West Springfield High School
• Sophie Bullard*
• Anna Oneto, Varsity, Trinity Christian High School
• Emma Schloegel, Freshman , West Springfield High School
*Sophie, having been selected to play on the Freshman Team at West Springfield High School, is now attending Robinson High School. Since Sophie switched schools, she is not currently playing high school volleyball.
Tournament Results -
Beachfest II Tournament (2-day tournament)
May 11-12, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
• Finished 2nd out of 11 teams, which was 2nd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• A terrific way to end a very fun and successful season. The team was almost perfect in all aspects of the game on Saturday and not quite as sharp on Sunday.
• The players had fun with each other, both on and off the court in our travel to Ocean City for the tournament weekend.
• Expecting these players to be very competitive for positions on their high school volleyball teams when they enter 9th grade next fall.
Mason Dixon 14’s Invitational (1-day tournament)
May 4, 2013
Chesapeake City, Maryland
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 8 teams, which was 3rd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• Continuing to show improvement from all players. When we have the ball in play or transition, our team is tough to beat. Continue to want to improve serve receive passing.
MD Juniors 14’s Mixed (1-day tournament)
April 27, 2013
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 16 teams, which was 3rd place in the gold playoff bracket
• Team is playing consistently skillful, enthusiastic, and fun volleyball. Continuing to improve late in the season. Still getting better.
CHRVA 14 Regionals – Club, Silver (1-day tournament)
April 13, 2013
Discovery Sports Center, Boyds, Maryland
• Finished 1st out of 8 teams
• Team was tremendous. Responded well to pressure. Terrific serving and middle hitting.
NEQ, Northeast Qualifier, USA Division (3-day tournament)
March 29-31, 2013 (played on Easter weekend, including Sunday)
Gaylord Hotel and Conference Center, National Harbor, Maryland
• Finished 33rd out of 40 teams
• Very tough competition. The team played well. Tremendous effort by our players.
BAVA 13/14 Invitational (1-day tournament)
March 3, 2013
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 15 teams, which was 3rd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• The team was terrific in pool play, but was surprised at the much tougher competition in the playoffs. Need to improve ability to transition to compete with more difficult teams more quickly. Team was dominant in pool play with all skills working well.
2013 Capitol Hill Classic, 14 Club (3-day tournament)
February 16-19, 2013
Washington Convention Center, Washington, DC
• Finished 18th out of 69 teams, which was 2nd in the silver playoff bracket
• Played very well. Passing was OK, but needs to be more consistent and precise. Achieved seconds on all three days – 2nd in Saturday’s pool; 2nd in Sunday’s pool; 2nd in Monday’s silver bracket playoffs. Terrific effort over the 3-days. This was a marathon, not a sprint.
SMCM 13/14 Invitational (1-day tournament)
February 2, 2013
St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Lexington Park, Maryland
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 10 teams, which was third place in the gold playoff bracket. Lost in the semifinals.
• Played very well. Setting and hitting are getting more consistent. Had a key middle block. Serving remains a strength.
NVVA 14’s Volley Like a Rockstar (1-day tournament)
January 27, 2013
• Finished 5th out of 12 teams, which was 1st place in the silver playoff bracket
• Played well at times, but had difficulty sustaining quality actions. Encountered tougher serving than what we saw in Lancaster.
MLK Kickoff Classic (3-day tournament)
January 19-21, 2013
• Finished 9th out of 29 teams, which was 1st place in the silver playoff bracket
• The players played well, especially for their first tournament.
• Travel to Lancaster provided a tremendous opportunity for our players to get to know each other early in the season.